1. What's your illustration background?
I studied Illustration at Ringling College of Art and Design and I've been freelancing in the children's market since 2006.
2. Where do you live?
I live in Orlando, Florida with my husband and two cats, who are my co-workers :)
3. What are your sources of inspiration?
I like reading children’s books, surfing the internet, browsing flickr (I find really cool images in some flickr groups), reading magazines, visiting thrift stores, looking at photographs from my childhood, and traveling. I also get a lot of inspiration from other artists such as Sabrina Ward Harrison, Keri Smith, Laurie Keller, and Vincent Mathy, just to name a few.
4. What are your favorite techniques you use to create your work?
I use a lot of custom brushes in Photoshop and I occasionally scan in paper and fabric to add some texture.
5. Do you have a favorite food?
I have many, but my favorite lately are Samosas with tamarind chutney, that I get from my local Indian market. They are so yummy! :)
6. What's your most productive time of the day?
Usually between 9am and 4pm. But if I have a deadline or if I am working on a side project, I will also work in the evenings.
7. Do you have a favorite place?
Outdoors, under a shaded tree.
8. What are your future illustration goals?
I hope that I’ll be able to continue working in the children’s market and have the opportunity to illustrate picture books.
represented by Mela Bolinao www.mbartists.com